Dec 27, 2011

time to lose the year of losses....



A year is a very long time to be 'good ' or 'bad' ...Just like people ain't only good or only bad...And sure enough, 2011 that started with a bang, has had its moments...its highs and its lows...but unfortunately lows, a lot more often....This post for me is just a way of letting this rather awful year, for the most part, go by,even if in words,  that'll take its place in history, captured and archived but never, hopefully, to repeat....

A year of loss
When after spending the most blissful day with a few loved ones just a day ago, to be told over phone at 5 in the morning that you've lost a parent....A year in which my life of 22 years flashed before my eyes in an hour....in a flight that I was on to see him for the last time....

A year of new relationships:  Among other personal roles and relationship-hats I donned, 2011 made me an aunt....It blessed my sister with the most welcome baby on earth ( And i dont even like ( make it, liked)  kids) and blissfully soon gave my receding family a reason to rejoice and laugh again....

A year of love....or something that felt like it....No matter if that love, more than often than not, was an illusion of something that my mind saw through but heart wanted nonetheless...even if the illusion was to come to an end , and the hurt was to be borne, but love is what love does and as someone put it "One taste is not enough"...And so I had it over and over again...Like they say, better to have loved and lost than not have loved at all....

A year of career : small professional achievements... a promotion... a whole lot of other small rewards, different roles and experiences , even if a little diluted by a taste of disappointment at missing out on an opportunity that had come to be a long-nursed dream....

A year of people....Probably one year that I met more new people than the rest of my life put together,
...People from work..people from parties....people from travels...people from nowhere...people from people.....some that whisked by just as uneventfully as eventfully as they came, while some stuck to make a mark , forever.....Also the year that I said the maximum goodbyes and let go more people than I probably met....When you begin to figure out who really matters in the end...A year with that one moment when you look at your 'friends' list on fb of 750+ odd people and realise that you don't have anyone to make a cup of tea for, but yourself and yet find yourself overwhelmed by gestures of a few you've barely spoken with...Someone incidentally just posted this on facebook . Can't have put it better.
"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone."

A year of travelling :  In all honesty, I did not travel as much as I would have liked to in 2011, but the few travels that I did embark on, were memorable and meaningful...Among them,  exploring and getting blissfully lost in the ruins of Gujarat all by myself , or going nostalgic standing in the corridors of a school I went to a decade ago or going on a backpacking trip to Thailand with my best friend ( this has been elaborated in an earlier post) and exploring Kolkata in the process...

All in all, 2011 at best , can be termed as an emotional roller-coaster....Of irreparable loss, of fleeting love, lingering hope , and unfinished dreams... Of moments happy and sad...sad more often...but mainly smiling through pain ...Of realisation that I'm stronger than I credit myself for and can see sunshine through the darkest clouds...I hope, nay know, that the next year will be better.... Will give me and mine, more reasons to celebrate its arrival rather its end, even if it were to be the last.....


No comments: